Lara Logan had already had one troubling experience in Egypt before last Friday’s “brutal and sustained” sexual assault, but the seasoned journalist was eager to return to work – under the right circumstances.
After Logan, 39, was detained and blindfolded by Egyptian authorities earlier this month, she told Charlie Rose in an interview, “Yes, I would go back, [but] it would depend entirely on the circumstances. If I could get an interview with [Egyptian president Hosni] Mubarak, I would go tomorrow. Am I just going to go throw myself into the circumstances? No, that doesn’t seem smart.”
Logan also recounted her experience with the Egyptian authorities, who separated some of the crew members and kept them overnight. “They let us know in no uncertain terms that they were tracking us. They knew who we were. They photographed us when we were blindfolded,” says Logan, who blamed a mix-up in paperwork, which would have permitted her crew to be in the country as journalists, for the incident.
Although the crew promptly returned to the U.S., Logan said she felt like a “failure” for doing so. “It’s very hard to be away from this story. I feel like a failure, professionally. I didn’t deliver,” she said. “It’s in my blood to be there and be in the street and be listening to people and do the best report that I can.”
Still, the mother of two said the dangers in Egypt appeared to be serious. “I put my family through a very difficult situation,” she said. “It’s easy to look in hindsight and say why didn’t you stay … But we were not safe.”
Released from the hospital Tuesday, Logan is now home with her family in the Washington, D.C., area.