In the days since Bobbi Kristina Brown was found unresponsive in her bathtub on Jan. 31, her family members have released conflicting information on the condition of the only daughter of Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston.
A few things are clear: The 21-year-old woman remains on life support, her breathing aided by a ventilator, and she has not regained consciousness since she was admitted to the hospital.
“She’s got some color back,” a family member tells PEOPLE, “but she’s still not responding.”
Still, Bobby Brown has maintained a brave face, slamming many reports about his daughter’s situation as “egregious” and “false.”
Some of those stories come from various family members who have not always been on the same page. In a Facebook post, cousin Jerod Brown said that doctors “don’t see any hope.” Meanwhile, Bobbi Kristina’s aunt Leolah told FOX 5 Atlanta that while Bobbi Kristina is “still on life support,” she is “opening her eyes … There are a couple more things that she’s doing but Krissi is doing well right now.” (However, according to Columbia University’s Department of Neurology, eye opening can still be “accompanied by a total lack of cognitive or mental activity of any type.”)
Adds another family source: “She is not brain dead. There is hope.”
Doctors tell PEOPLE that her condition is dependent on how long she went without air. “Even minutes [without air] can be grim,” explains neurologist Eli Zimmerman of Massachusetts General Hospital.
Some family members, including Bobby Brown and Bobbi Kristina’s grandmother Cissy Houston, maintain a constant vigil by her bedside. Others come and go, getting secondhand updates via text messages or phone calls.
The family member tells PEOPLE that despite the varied perspectives, the family remains united in their hope for Bobbi Kristina’s recovery. “Everyone may be giving different stories, but that’s because it’s so confusing,” says the family member.
“No one is trying to mislead anyone. Everyone is still praying for her. That’s what matters.”
• With additional reporting by K.C. BAKER, LIZ MCNEIL and MICHELLE TAUBER
More on Bobbi Kristina Brown:
• Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Family Holds Vigil, Asks for Continued Prayer
• Bobbi Kristina’s Cousin: We’re Still Praying, ‘Though Doctors Don’t See Any Hope for Change’
• Family Gathering to Say Goodbye to Bobbi Kristina Brown
• Max Lomas, Who Initially Found Bobbi Kristina Brown Unresponsive, Just ‘Wants His Good Friend Back’
• Houston Family Had Restraining Order Against Bobbi Kristina’s ‘Husband’ Nick Gordon
• Bobbi Kristina and ‘Husband’ Nick Gordon Were Never Married
• Bobby Brown’s Bedside Song to Daughter Bobbi Kristina: ‘The Greatest Love of All’
• Were Drugs Involved with Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Near-Drowning?
• Kevin Costner on Bobbi Kristina Brown: ‘I Can’t Imagine’ What Her Family Is Going Through
• Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Family Keeping Hospital Bedside Vigil
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Is ‘Fighting For Her Life,’ Family Says
• For Bobbi Kristina Brown, Minutes Without Air ‘Could Be Grim’
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Is Still Unresponsive, According to Source
• Do Bobbi Kristina Browns’s Social Media Accounts Hold Clues About Why She Was Found Unresponsive?
• Bobbi Kristina Brown: Inside the Troubled Life of Whitney Houston’s Daughter
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Hospitalized After Being Found Unresponsive in Tub
• Stars Rally Around Bobbi Kristina Brown
• Bobbi Kristina’s Husband Is Not the Bad Guy, Says Source
• Bobby Brown ‘Inconsolable’ Over Bobbi Kristina’s Hospitalization
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Recovery Would Be a Miracle, Says Source