Sometimes praying, sometimes sitting in stunned silence, Bobbi Kristina Brown’s family has gathered at a Georgia hospital to await word of the 21-year-old’s condition. There has been little change: the only daughter of Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown has remained unresponsive since she was found unconscious in a bathtub on Saturday.
Despite the troubling prognosis of the girl they call “Krissi,” the family clings to hope for her recovery. “The swelling [in her brain] has gone down,” says a family source. “The doctor says that that by itself isn’t the smoking gun that she’s getting better, but it’s still a good sign. But she’s still not reacting.”
It’s a somber, agonizing vigil for the Houston and Brown families. On Super Bowl Sunday, while millions of Americans were watching the big game, the family hardly glanced at the muted TV in the waiting room. “No one was watching it,” says a family source. “Everyone is so worried about Krissi.”
Instead, they take turns visiting Bobbi Kristina in her private room in the intensive care unit. Entering the room in groups of two or three, they speak to her quietly, telling her stories of happier times. “If she’s in there somewhere, we want her to hear us,” a family member tells PEOPLE. “We keep it positive. We tell her that God loves her, that we love her. That America is praying for her and that everyone loves her.”
One person remains constantly by Bobbi Kristina’s side: her father, Bobby Brown. “He’s so upset,” says the family source. “He can hardly put one foot in front of the other.”
The family anxiously awaits the results of the neurological tests that doctors perform three times a day. They test for brain activity: response to painful stimuli, dilation of pupils, any signs of recovery. The doctors brief Bobby Brown about his daughter’s condition – and he tells the family members in the waiting room.
And there’s a message that the family has for the American public. “The family appreciates your support,” Bobbi Kristina’s cousin, Jerod Brown, tells PEOPLE. “Please, everyone continue to pray for BK.”
“At this point, we want people to pray for a miracle,” adds another family member. “We are putting our faith in God.”
For more on Bobbi Kristina Brown, pick up this week’s issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday
More on Bobbi Kristina Brown: • Bobbi Kristina and ‘Husband’ Nick Gordon Were Never Married’
• Bobby Brown’s Bedside Song to Daughter Bobbi Kristina: ‘The Greatest Love of All’
• Were Drugs Involved with Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Near-Drowning?
• Kevin Costner on Bobbi Kristina Brown: ‘I Can’t Imagine’ What Her Family Is Going Through
• Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Family Keeping Hospital Bedside Vigil
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Is ‘Fighting For Her Life,’ Family Says
• For Bobbi Kristina Brown, Minutes Without Air ‘Could Be Grim’
• Bobbi Kristina Brown in Medically Induced Coma, According to Source
• Do Bobbi Kristina Browns’s Social Media Accounts Hold Clues About Why She Was Found Unresponsive?
• Bobbi Kristina Brown: Inside the Troubled Life of Whitney Houston’s Daughter
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Hospitalized After Being Found Unresponsive in Tub
• Stars Rally Around Bobbi Kristina Brown
• Bobbi Kristina’s Husband Is Not the Bad Guy, Says Source
• Bobby Brown ‘Inconsolable’ Over Bobbi Kristina’s Hospitalization
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Recovery Would Be a Miracle, Says Source