Jackson Lee/Splash News Online
Sara Hammel
April 19, 2013 04:00 PM

Bethenny Frankel and her estranged husband Jason Hoppy met Friday for a matrimonial appearance before a judge in New York – but seemed to do most of their communicating outside the courtroom.

The pair arrived separately to the downtown Manhattan court early for a scheduled 10:30 a.m. appearance. Frankel, 42, wore black stilettos and a charcoal dress. Hoppy, 41, wore a gray suit and, notably, continued to wear the wedding band he’s kept on throughout their separation.

News of their split broke in January. The couple wed in 2010 and have a 2½-year-old daughter, Bryn.

Accompanied by their legal teams (and in Jason’s case, a pal as well), the pair sat in the halls outside the courtroom. While Bethenny sat with her lawyer on a sofa, Jason sat around the corner on a bench, out of his wife’s sight but only feet away from her.

Jason appeared relaxed and smiling. He chatted with his legal team, and when his attorney stepped away, he sat with a pal and passed the time making conversation, frequently smiling.

In contrast, Bethenny gestured intensely as she conferred with her attorney, divorce powerhouse Allan Mayefsky. When he stepped away, she sat alone for nearly half an hour, tapping away on her phone and then making calls.

As the morning dragged on waiting to see the judge, the pair hashed out various sticking points of their divorce in the hallway. Frankel and Hoppy never came in contact with one another, but their lawyers were seen talking.

At one point Hoppy expressed his frustration with the negotiations, but generally reminded relaxed and smiling. As more time passed, Hoppy paced while Frankel remained seated around the corner from him.

Around 12:30 p.m., the pair were called in to meet with the judge privately. Not long after that, they emerged separately with their attorneys. Frankel appeared as if she had been crying under her aviator sunglasses.

The estranged couple then headed, alone, to a conference room, where they talked one-on-one for around 40 minutes.

No negotiations were held in open court, and neither the legal teams nor Frankel and Hoppy had any comment on any decision that might have been reached.

You May Like