Is the ninth time still a charm?
More than 20 years since he first played host in 1990, Billy Crystal once again flexed his funny bone – and his vocal cords – for Sunday night’s 84th annual Academy Awards.
In case you missed the host’s latest turn on the Oscar stage, PEOPLE is breaking down some of his best moments and one-liners.
• Taking a jab at Hollywood elite early in the show, Crystal deadpanned, “Tonight, enjoy yourself, because nothing can take the sting out of the world’s economic problems like watching millionaires present each other with gold statues.”
• As usual, Crystal spoofed the nominees for Best Picture in his opening montage, including The Help. “Don’t eat the pie!” he yelled in a re-creation of the famed, not-so-tasteful scene with early winner Octavia Spencer playing feisty maid Minny Jackson.
• Teamed with George Clooney, Crystal woke up in a hospital bed to parody a scene of The Descendants, and asked, “Is this the villa?” (a sly reference to the actor’s famed Italian villa on Lake Como).
• Introducing Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez, the victim of a potential wardrobe malfunction, to present honors for costume design and makeup, Crystal quipped, “Please welcome a reoccurring dream of mine.”
• “This has been a great year for strong, feminine characters. Some wore high heels and ran countries like The Iron Lady, and J. Edgar,” he joked, referring to the film starring Leonardo DiCaprio about J. Edgar Hoover. When the joke failed to get a big laugh, Crystal paused and added, “The band loved that one.”
• Crystal, a big baseball fan, joked about the drawn-out process of selling L.A.’s embattled baseball team that’s up for sale: “You know what I’m thinking?” he asked the rich stars in the front row. “Why don’t we chip in and own the Dodgers?”
Now that all has been said, done and sung, tell us: Did Billy Crystal deliver an Oscar-worthy performance this year?