ABC News anchor Bob Woodruff, who was seriously injured in January while reporting from Iraq, is finally going home, he said in a note to colleagues on Thursday.
Woodruff, who had been staying at a private treatment facility in the New York City area, said: “I am moving on to outpatient treatment and I can’t tell you what a blessing it is. Though I know there is still a long road ahead, it’s nice to be feeling more like myself again – laughing with family, reading bedtime stories and reminding my kids to do their homework.”
In the note Woodruff also thanked the doctors and nurses whom he credits with saving his life, as well as his wife, Lee, 45, and their children (son Mack, 14, daughter Cathryn, 12, and 5-year-old twins Nora and Claire). He added, “I have been moved beyond words by the letters, the cards and the genuine good wishes I have received from our viewers.”
Woodruff, 44, suffered a head injury and broken bones when a roadside bomb exploded near the Humvee he was traveling in north of Baghdad. ABC News cameraman Doug Vogt, 46, was also injured in the incident, but suffered less extensive injuries, and was released from the hospital in February.
ABC News executives have said they hope Woodruff will eventually return to his duties as co-anchor of the network’s weeknight World News Tonight broadcast with Elizabeth Vargas.