Source: Facebook
Diane Herbst
January 27, 2016 07:00 PM

A 3-year-old girl has died after fighting for her life following carbon monoxide poisoning in her family’s car during Winter Storm Jonas, PEOPLE can confirm.

Saniyah Rosa had been in a “very critical” condition and on a ventilator at St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center, New Jersey after being exposed to carbon monoxide while in a vehicle with her mother Sashalynn Rosa, 23, and 1-year-old brother Messiah, who both died at the scene.

“Unfortunately, she has passed away,” Passaic Mayor Alex Blanco has confirmed to PEOPLE.

The family were sitting in their white, four-door Mazda trying to warm up during Winter Storm Jonas, not knowing that a tailpipe clogged with snow was enabling the deadly gas to fill the car.

Rosa’s boyfriend and father of the two children, who had been clearing snow off of the car, knocked on one of the windows after 10 to 20 minutes and when they didn’t wake up he opened the door to rouse them. “He couldn’t, he started yelling and screaming,” Blanco said.

“It happened quick in 10 or 15 minutes and [carbon monoxide] doesn’t smell,” he added. “There was no smoke inside the car that would have been a red flag for them.”

At least 30 people have been reported dead so far due to the massive snowstorm that swept across the country over the weekend. Winter Storm Jonas shut down New York and Washington , D.C., and affected the lives of millions as it inundated the Mid-Atlantic and East Coast.

You May Like

EDIT POST