While they gear up for their prospective acceptance speeches for when the Emmy Awards air Sept. 21, the freshly announced nominees for TV’s highest honor are already sharing their reactions to the distinctions bestowed upon them.
Among what they have to say:
• “I am incredibly grateful and honored. But I am over the moon for Jean Smart, who is such a sublime talent.” – Christina Applegate, nominated as lead actress in a comedy series for Samantha Who?
• “I’m flattered to be nominated. Congratulations to Tina [Fey] and everyone at 30 Rock. The writers do a wonderful job, and I hope we have some success in September.” – Alec Baldwin, leading actor in a comedy series nominee, for 30 Rock
• “I’m extremely proud of our show … I am more excited for my fellow Two and a Half Men nominees.” – Charlie Sheen, comedy series actor contender
• “Want to see … the glamorous life of an Emmy nominee: When we’re done talking, I’m getting in my 1978 Volkswagen beetle convertible and driving to the garage so they can install a windshield [part]. Nothing like show business!” – Dancing With the Stars‘ host Tom Bergeron, who earned a nod in the brand new category for reality-competition show host
• “I was in bed and I watched [the announcement]. I ve never been this excited with no pants on and my wife still sleeping!” – nominated Deal or No Deal host Howie Mandel
• “I’m not going to start drinking. I’m going to start exercising so I can fit into my Emmy dress. By the way, I’m not kidding. I’m actually going to go and have a massive workout this morning.” – Julia Louis-Dreyfus, nominated for lead actress in a comedy series, for The New Adventures Of Old Christine
• “I’m thrilled. It’s fantastic, it’s wonderful. It’s funny because this morning I woke up at 5:20 L.A. time, and I sort of was half – I mean, actually, that’s a lie – I was wholly waiting for the phone to ring.” – The Closer‘s leading actress nominee Kyra Sedgwick, to the Associated Press
• “I’m very honored. It never gets old. I do, but it doesn’t.” – Sally Field, nominated for leading actress in a drama for Brothers & Sisters, the category for which she won last year
• “I’m really happy, incredibly flattered and surprised! I am working out of state right now and forgot they were being announced this morning! I’m especially excited that Christina [Applegate] and I can go dress-hunting together.” – Samantha Who?‘s Jean Smart, up for supporting actress in a comedy series
• “It’s exciting. You kind of just mentally prepare yourself for either way, like if it happens, great, if it doesn’t. … But in the moment, that kind of all goes out the window and you hope it does.” – Last year’s winner, and this year’s nominee for leading actress in a comedy series, America Ferrera, of Ugly Betty
“My parents always told me it was important to be a good guest, so I feel like they deserve the credit,” – 30 Rock guest star nominee Will Arnett, who tell PEOPLE exclusively that he and his wife (and fellow nominee) Amy Poehler were asleep when they got the good news from “Amy’s parents.” As for how they’ll celebrate: “We’ll eat. We’ll probably go get ice cream. It’s super hot”
“I’m so excited, thrilled. It was an awesome year for Saturday Night Live. I continue to be honored to be on that show. I think the people I work with are the funniest people I television.” – SNL supporting actress nominee Amy Poehler
See a complete list of this year’s major Emmy nominees.
• Reporting by LIZA HAMM, LISA INGRASSIA and JENNIFER WREN