Makes: 1 (12-in.) pizza
Hands-on time: 25 min.
Total time: 3 hrs. 5 min.
¾ cup warm water (100 to 110)
1 tsp. sugar
1 (¼–oz.) envelope active dry yeast
¼ cup corn oil
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. olive oil
1½ cups seeded, finely diced Roma tomatoes
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
2 tbsp. grated Romano cheese
10 thin slices (5 oz.) fresh mozzarella cheese
6 slices (5 oz.) provolone cheese
24 slices (2 oz.) pepperoni
1. Whisk warm water and sugar in a large bowl; sprinkle with yeast and let stand 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture is bubbly. Stir until blended.
2. Add corn oil to mixture, beating at low speed with an electric mixer. Gradually add flour and salt, beating at medium speed until dough is smooth and pliable.
3. Turn dough out of bowl; knead by hand for 2 minutes. Add olive oil to mixing bowl; place ball of dough in bowl, turning to coat well with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm (85°), draft-free place 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
4. Preheat oven to 475°. Combine tomatoes, oregano, basil and Romano; set aside. Press dough across bottom and up sides of a lightly greased 12-in. round cake pan or deep dish pizza pan. Arrange cheese slices evenly over dough. Spoon tomato mixture over cheeses. Top with pepperoni.
5. Bake on middle rack 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden and pulls away from sides of the pan. Cool 5 minutes before cutting.