Five Things About Tyler Perry:
1. For TV shows Meet the Browns and House of Payne, “I went and got directors who were child actors—Alfonso Ribeiro and Kim Fields.”
2. Soundstages at his new Atlanta studio are named after Perry’s heroes—Sidney Poitier, Cicely Tyson, Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee.
3. Precious (he’s a an executive producer) has personal meaning for Perry, who revealed he was abused as a child. “Here it is, my life. A lot of my childhood was played out in front of me.”
4. Next up: touring—via bus and private plane—as Madea. Followed by “spending more time on my island.”
5. Highlight of 2009: “Turning 40. Here’s a kid who didn’t think he’d live to see 30. So turning 40, embracing flaws and all, was a huge accomplishment.”