FAMOUS RIGATONI D
Makes: 4 to 6 servings Hands-on time: 30 min. Total time: 1 hr., 15 min.
1½ cups sliced mushrooms
6 tbsp. diced onion
1 tbsp. finely minced garlic
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1½ tbsp. cornstarch
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups uncooked rigatoni pasta
3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
3 tbsp. butter
1 lb. skinned and boned chicken breast, cut into 1 × ¾-in. strips
½ cup dry white wine
¾ cup sweet marsala wine
2 cups heavy cream
1 tbsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
8 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tbsp. each chopped fresh basil and chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat oven to 450º. Toss together mushrooms and next 3 ingredients on an aluminum-foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until mushrooms are a deep brown color and liquid has evaporated. Remove from oven; set aside on a wire rack.
2. Whisk together cornstarch and chicken broth in a medium bowl; set aside.
3. Prepare pasta in a large Dutch oven according to package directions. Do not overcook. Drain well; return pasta to Dutch oven. Toss with 1 tbsp. olive oil; set aside.
4. Melt butter with remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in batches, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Return chicken to skillet. Add white wine; cook until liquid evaporates. Add marsala; cook until liquid reduces by half. Whisk in chicken-broth mixture; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until simmering. Whisk in cream, salt, pepper and reserved mushrooms. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring often, until sauce thickens.
6. Stir sauce into pasta; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in 6 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, basil and parsley. Serve immediately with remaining Parmesan cheese if desired.