In This is Your Brain on Music, Daniel J. Levitin looks at the neuroscience behind rocking out.
1. Those songs that stick in your head? They’re called “ear worms.”
2. Monkeys like the sound of fingernails screeching on a blackboard and rock music equally.
3. Emotions triggered by music involve structures in the brain’s primitive, reptilian regions.
4. Profits from Beatles hits helped their record company develop technology for MRI machines.
5. Americans spend more on music than on prescription drugs.