Candice Kumai’s LASAGNA
The cookbook author and Iron Chef America judge shares a pasta dish that’s ‘hearty and satisfying’
LEMON-BASIL LASAGNA ROLLS
16 lasagna noodles
2½ cups marinara sauce, divided
1 15-oz. container part-skim ricotta cheese
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 cup julienned fresh basil, plus more for garnish
1 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water.
3. Cover bottom of a 9 × 13-in. baking dish with 1 cup marinara sauce.
4. Blend ricotta, zest, oregano, basil and salt in a medium bowl.
5. Spread 2 tbsp. ricotta mixture evenly over each noodle; roll each tightly to form a compact spiral.
6. Arrange rolled noodles neatly in baking dish and cover with the remaining sauce. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
7. Garnish with additional basil.
Recipe adapted from Cook Yourself Sexy by Candice Kumai
Alex Guarnaschelli’s GARLIC BREAD
The Food Network star offers up her take on a classic. ‘The soft buttery middle makes it difficult not to devour,’ she says
Serves 8 to 10
1 whole head garlic, plus 3 cloves garlic, peeled
5 tbsp. olive oil, divided
4 tbsp. softened butter
1 large loaf Italian bread
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dried chili flakes (optional)
½ tsp. salt
1. Split 1 whole garlic head in half horizontally; drizzle with 1 tbsp. oil. Wrap in foil and bake at 350 until soft, 40 minutes.
2. Cut bread in half lengthwise.
3. Finely mince 3 raw garlic cloves and combine with butter and remaining olive oil; spread evenly over bread and sprinkle with oregano, paprika, chili flakes and salt.
4. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves from their skins and spread evenly over bread. Wrap in foil; refrigerate overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350. Bake bread in foil until hot, 25 to 30 minutes. Slice and serve hot.