GIADA DE LAURENTIIS’S ROYAL RECIPE
This is one of the dishes William and Kate will be served at a charity polo match in Santa Barbara, Calif., July 9. ‘It’s elegant comfort food,’ says De Laurentiis, the event’s chef
BEEF TENDERLOIN CROSTINI
½ baguette sliced into 20 (¼-to-½-in.-thick) slices
Extra-virgin olive oil
ground black pepper
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. coriander
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 4-oz. filet mignon steaks
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 tbsp. mascarpone cheese
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
1 ¼ tsp. curry powder
½ tsp. smoked paprika
¼ cup cilantro leaves
1. Preheat oven to 400. Arrange bread slices on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with ¼ tsp. salt. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Leave oven on.
2. Spray a small baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray.
3. Combine ½ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. pepper, cumin, coriander and garlic. Rub the mixture all over the steaks. In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add steaks and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing across the grain into 20 (¼-in.-thick) slices.
4. Whisk together mayonnaise, mascarpone cheese, basil, curry powder, smoked paprika, 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
5. Spread ½ tsp. of mayonnaise over each toast slice. Top each with a slice of steak. Place ¼ tsp. of mayonnaise on top of the steak. Finish with a cilantro leaf.
Recipe adapted courtesy of De Laurentiis
What’s the Most Exotic Food
YOUR KID LOVES?
“Exotic for kids can be just vegetables. My son likes lima beans. Isn’t that crazy? I’m like, ‘You want more lima beans?'” Kelly Rutherford, mom of Hermes, 4, and Helena, 2
“One of my daughters loves food. Last night I talked to her about macaroons. The other would rather just have a jelly sandwich.”
Marcia Cross, mom of twins Eden and Savannah, 4
“My daughter is a sushi freak. Her favorite is salmon roe. My son is all about plain pasta. No sauce, no nothing.”
Chris Meloni, dad of Sophia, 10, and Dante, 7
“When she tried Nutella for the first time, it blew her mind!” Tina Fey, mom of Alice, 5 (and expecting her second child)
“Wyatt’s pretty basic-his favorite meal is spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese.” Sheryl Crow, mom of Wyatt, 4, and Levi, 1