Dr. Oz’s …
DINNER FOR FOUR UNDER $10
The talk show host—and Oprah‘s wellness guru—delivers a waistline- and wallet-friendly entrée
Dr. Oz calls this meal “a great energy source with lots of fiber and protein, without fat.” By cooking it at home, he adds, “you save lots of money!”
DR. OZ’S SPICY CHILI
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• ½ lb. ground turkey or ground meat substitute
• ½ onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes, undrained
• 15.5-oz. can kidney beans, drained
• 4 tsp. chili powder
• 2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. ground coriander
• ½ tsp. turmeric
• ½ tsp. salt
• pinch of cayenne pepper
• 1 tsp. maple syrup
• 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan.
2. Add turkey, onion and garlic; cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add remaining ingredients; simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.
The Dr. Oz Show just celebrated its 100th episode. Check local listings.
ST. PATRICK’S DAY PARTY SNACK!
This Irish dish comes from the Clarence Hotel in Dublin, owned by U2’s Bono and the Edge
MINI BAKED POTATOES WITH BRIE AND SMOKED BACON
• kosher salt
• 20 new potatoes
• 5 slices thick-cut bacon
• ½ cup onion, diced
• 1 cup spring onions, chopped
• 4 oz. Brie
• ½ bunch parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425º. Place a thin layer of kosher salt on a baking tray. Place potatoes on top and cook for 30 minutes.
2. Allow to cool slightly. Slice off the tops of the potatoes lengthwise, and scoop out the middle with a teaspoon or melon baller.
3. Dice and fry bacon. Remove bacon, add diced onions to the pan and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients, including the reserved bacon, to the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix in with scooped-out potatoes.
5. Spoon into shells. Serve warm.
ST. PATRICK’S SPECIAL
SHAKE UP YOUR HOLIDAY
A beer-infused indulgence courtesy of the Hollywood celeb hangout 25 Degrees.
• 1 cup premium vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
• 4 oz. Guinness stout
• 2 oz. chocolate syrup, plus extra for drizzling
Place ice cream, stout and chocolate syrup in a blender. Mix until just blended, about 10 seconds; it should be thick. Drizzle the inside of a chilled glass with syrup. Pour shake into prepared glass. Serves 1.
HOW DO YOU CELEBRATE ST. PATRICK’S DAY?
“It depends on where I am. If you’re in Ireland, you certainly go to the pub and down a few pints of Guinness. In England, my aunt Eileen used to send me shamrocks.”
— PIERCE BROSNAN
STARS’ HONEYMOON HOT SPOTS
On sunny beaches or exotic safaris, celebrate love like these recently married celebs
WHY GO THERE?
Along with impeccable beaches and warm weather, newlyweds get “a dose of culture and history,” says Travelzoo senior editor Gabe Saglie. Added bonus: “Posh resorts are slashing rates and adding extras like room upgrades, spa discounts and free meals.”
WHY GO THERE?
Adventurous spirits like the Roddicks can try out zip-line tours through forests. The other green they can enjoy? “The strength of the dollar,” which also rings true in Belize, Guatemala and Panama. And to make scheduling easier, airlines are increasing the frequency of flights headed to Central American destinations.
WHY GO THERE?
You don’t have to be a Trump to afford an African excursion. “Packages that include everything from safari adventures to a tour of the Table Mountain in Cape Town are priced at what airfare alone would have cost a couple of years ago,” says Saglie. Just wait until after the country finishes hosting the World Cup on July 11. “The deals will really come to life.”