PARTY FOR 10! $4 PER PERSON
Project Runway’s Nina Garcia …
THROW A STYLISH COCKTAIL PARTY!
The reality TV judge offers up tasty finger food, a festive drink and no-nonsense rules for a fun mixer
A Garcia fave: baked baguette slices brushed with olive oil and topped with blue cheese (8 oz. per baguette) and honey.
IT’S GLOW TIME
“Bad lighting is the devil,” says Garcia, who recommends lots of soft candlelight. Vie Luxe Votive Trio, $40; Saks.com
NINA’S FROZEN FRUIT MARGARITA
• 8 oz. white tequila
• 4 oz. Cointreau
• 4 oz. any fruit syrup or fresh fruit puree
• 2 oz. fresh lime juice
• Crushed ice
• Lime wedge, for garnish
• Coarse salt, optional
Combine tequila, Cointreau, fruit puree, lime juice and ice in a blender, and blend until smooth and frothy. Pour into glass and garnish with lime. Serves four.
Catch Project Runway Thursdays at 10 p.m. on Lifetime
Wolfgang Puck’s …
DINNER FOR FOUR UNDER $10
The celebrity chef and restaurant magnate taps into his heritage for a hearty Austrian dish
CHICKEN SCHNITZEL WITH WARM POTATO SALAD
• 1 cup white wine vinegar
• ¼ cup peanut oil
• 1½ tsp. kosher salt
• ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 3 tbsp. sugar
• 1 small yellow onion, ¼-in. dice
• 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
• 1 lb. fingerling potatoes, washed
• 3 cloves garlic
• 3 sprigs fresh parsley
• 2 tbsp. kosher salt
• 4 6-oz. chicken cutlets
• Salt and pepper
• 1 cup flour for dusting
• 2 eggs plus 2 tbsp. water, beaten, for egg wash
• 3 cups dried white bread crumbs
• Peanut oil for frying
• Lemon sections
1. In a bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients. Whisk until well blended. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, garlic, parsley and salt. Add enough water to just cover potatoes and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook about 8 minutes, or until just done (do not overcook). Strain and allow to cool at room temperature. Slice into ¼-in.-thick rounds. Add to reserved marinade and let sit at least 20 minutes before serving.
3. In a heavy, deep sauté pan, preheat 4 in. of oil to 375°.
4. Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour. Dip in egg wash. Coat with bread crumbs. Deep fry about 3 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
5. In a sauté pan over high heat, warm the marinated potatoes for about 30 seconds. Serve with one schnitzel on each of four dinner plates. Garnish with lemon sections.