SUMMER GRILLING GUIDE!
A mix of sirloin and chuck gives burgers a richer, meatier flavor. Make a small dent in the center of patties before grilling to help them keep their shape
Makes: 6 servings Hands-on time: 25 min. | Total time: 25 min.
1 lb. ground sirloin
1 lb. ground chuck
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
Toppings: mustard, ketchup, mayo, lettuce, tomato slices, pickle slices
1. Preheat grill to 350º to 400º (medium-high). Combine first 4 ingredients. Shape mixture into 6 (5-in.) patties.
2. Grill, covered with grill lid, 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until beef patty is no longer pink in center. Serve on grilled hamburger buns with preferred toppings.
1 SUN-DRIED TOMATO & PESTO BURGERS
Stir 1 (3-oz.) package sun-dried tomato halves, chopped, and 1 garlic clove, minced, into meat mixture. Proceed as directed. Serve on sesame seed buns and top with pesto sauce, mozzarella slices, fresh basil leaves and pepperoncini pepper slices.
2 PIMIENTO CHEESE-BACON BURGERS
Stir ¼ cup finely chopped Vidalia onions and ¼ cup barbecue sauce into meat mixture. Proceed as directed. Serve on whole wheat buns and top with barbecue sauce, pimiento cheese, cooked bacon slices and leaf lettuce.
3 TEX-MEX BURGERS
Combine 2 tbsp. ketchup, 1½ tsp. chili powder and 1 tsp. fajita seasoning with meat. Serve on onion rolls with sauce of ½ cup sour cream, ½ cup ketchup, 1 (4.5-oz.) can chopped green chiles and 1 tbsp. minced cilantro. Top with lettuce, avocado slices and queso blanco cheese.
SUMMER GRILLING GUIDE!
The secret to cooking chicken breast on the grill? Brine the cutlets first to add flavor and seal in juices, then pound them flat so they cook evenly
CLASSIC CHICKEN SANDWICHES
Makes: 4 servings | Hands-on time: 30 min. | Total time: 4½ hrs.
2 cups apple juice
¼ cup salt
¼ cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
4 (6-oz.) chicken cutlets
1 tbsp. grill seasoning
4 grilled buns
1. Simmer first 4 ingredients and 1 cup water in a pan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Combine mixture and 2 cups ice in a bowl; add cutlets. Cover; chill 4 hours.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high. Rinse chicken, pat dry, pound to flatten and sprinkle with seasoning. Cook on oiled grill rack, 4 to 5 min. per side. Serve on buns with toppings.
1 CREOLE CHICKEN SANDWICHES
Substitute Creole seasoning. Grill as directed. Serve on split, grilled French rolls. Top with Dijon mustard, mayo, shredded romaine lettuce, tomato slices and sweet-hot pickle relish.
2 BARBECUE CHICKEN SANDWICHES
Substitute barbecue seasoning. Grill as directed. Brush with smoky barbecue sauce and top with cheddar cheese slices during last minute of grilling. Serve on grilled buns. Top with smoky barbecue sauce, cooked bacon slices and french-fried onion rings.
3 SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN SANDWICHES
Substitute mixture of 2 tbsp. vegetable oil, 2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro, 2 garlic cloves, minced, 2 tsp. chili powder and ¼ tsp. ground red pepper for grill seasoning. Brush mixture over chicken; grill as directed. Serve on grilled sour dough bread slices with a mixture of ½ cup mayo and 1 tsp. chili powder. Top with Monterey Jack cheese, peach salsa and leaf lettuce.
SUMMER GRILLING GUIDE!
Spicy or sweet, brats or basic hot dogs, sausage can dry out quickly. Keep them juicy by parboiling beforehand or brush with oil or sauce while grilling
Makes: 4 servings | Hands-on time: 15 min. | Total time: 25 min.
4 bratwurst (about 1 lb.)
2 (12-oz.) cans beer or 3 cups water
4 hoagie rolls, split and grilled
Coarse grain mustard
1. Prick bratwurst with the tip of a knife. Bring beer to a boil in a large saucepan; add sausage and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove bratwurst and pat dry.
2. Grill, uncovered, over 350º to 400º (medium-high) heat 9 to 10 minutes, turning often. Serve on rolls with coarse grain mustard.
1 GRILLED CHICKEN-APPLE SAUSAGES
Brush 4 chicken-apple sausages with vegetable oil. Grill 10 to 15 min. or until done. Serve on whole wheat buns with spicy brown mustard, sauerkraut and grilled Granny Smith apple slices.
2 SOUTHERN SLAW SUPER DOG
Grill 4 (¼-lb.) beef hot dogs 8 to 10 min., brushing with barbecue sauce during last 2 min. of grilling. Serve on grilled hot dog buns with additional barbecue sauce, mustard, coleslaw and pickle slices.
3 SAUSAGES ROMANO
Brush 4 spicy or sweet Italian turkey sausages with olive oil. Grill 10 to 15 min. or until done. Sauté 1 each thinly sliced large sweet onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper. Serve sausage on hoagie rolls with onion-pepper mixture and provolone cheese.